Thread: So I bought a Drift Boat

Default So I bought a Drift Boat

It's an oldie but a classic. A 1969 Wooldridge 17 footer. I'm trying to restore her to close to factory condition. The hull is sound. I removed all the trolling stuff first. That was a pain but she looks so much better now. The frame for the rope seat survived all the years of transferring so after googling what that thing was I re-roped it and it's ready to go back in. Had to order oar locks but once they came in I took her out and found out just how easy it is to row a drift boat. Easy but technical. I've got some practicing to do.

Here's my current dilemma, Glen Wooldridge's name is still on the boat just covered up by a later coat of crappy paint. I would like to strip off the paint but leave Glen's name intact. Any ideas on how to go about this? Also if anyone has a pair of 9.5 or 10ft drift boat oars I'd be interested. It came with 8.5's but I feel a bit longer would be better. Oh, I'm going to refinish and re-rope the 8.5's, if anyone is interested.

Yeah, I got a 6hp outboard with the package but I'm way more excited about the drifting aspect.

The trailer is the real deal, just real old. New carpet and wiring are coming.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

Jake: Hit it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240617_164153 (1).jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.90 MB 
ID:	19999

The rope seat frame. Had to figure out what it was.
    Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark... and we're wearing sunglasses.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2000 I'll get some on the water pics this weekend.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240617_164153 (1).jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	4.90 MB 
ID:	20000   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20240604_135637 (1).jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	3.46 MB 
ID:	20001  
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 06-28-2024 at 05:19 AM.

Good one Ed, you will find that rowing a drifter is pretty fun actually, and a good workout to boot- don't get rid of the 8.5's yet, try the other ones but don't be surprised if they feel clunky. I had a 16 Willie years back and tried going longer with bad results- the extra length wore me out and wasn't as easy to work with.

Getting the paint off and saving what's under there might not be possible depending the crappy paint- try a heat gun and go slow?
    Last edited by Mr T; 06-28-2024 at 05:55 AM.

Good one Ed,

That will keep you busy for a while. I remember those rope seats.

Drift boats are a special thing because you can row and hold them in one spot easier than any other boat.

If you need any advice Andy Guibord has been rowing a drift boat for a long time.

PS: I think Joe Shirshac's daughter, Skeeter, is still shuttling on the Lower American River.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

If there is a local sign painter you might ask them how to do that removal and save what is underneath as this is something many of them have to do.

Some good sound advice, just what I was looking for.

I'll give the 8.5's some time in the water, maybe borrow some longer ones for a bit to compare.

Bob, that makes sense, I'll do that. Bill, could you pm me Skeeter's contact info?

Any and all advice is appreciated, I've never owned a drift boat, heck, I've only been in one once before. Been attending U Tube University for help also.

Also forgot to add, the most cringy part of that boat photo, the spare tire. I'll haul that in the back of the truck until I come up with a mount. That under frame install will not fly.
    Last edited by Ed Wahl; 06-28-2024 at 10:39 PM.

Flip the the hitch to give it some height to the ball, so your boat trailer is level when towing. Had to do that for my little boat trailer. Bill

Quote Originally Posted by fishngy View Post
    Flip the the hitch to give it some height to the ball, so your boat trailer is level when towing. Had to do that for my little boat trailer. Bill
    This is good advice.

I should have noticed that.

Easier to get the boat on the trailer if the back of it is lower.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........