Thread: La Ventana. BCS

Default La Ventana. BCS

Just returned from two weeks in the Baja. Overall it was a pretty good two weeks. We had two blow days and I had two Vertigo days where I stayed back at the hotel.

Lots of jacks ( some BIG ) up to 30lbs. Roosters up the butt. But the only thing, is they have seen so many flies that they can pick and choose what to eat. A number of Roosters in the 70-80 lb range. Lots of Roosters in the 30 - 50lb range. I hooked up on one Rooster that ate my fly right on top as the fly hit the water. Clearing line when all of a sudden a huge ball of line jumped up and wrapped around my first stripping guide. Broke a 30lb leader the captain said a pez Gallo probably 70lbs. My partner landed one around 50lbs after a 1 hour battle. I caught a number of jacks in the 15 - 20lb range. A hard fighting fish that doesn't give up, even after he's in the boat.

Gary Bulla's groups have been pulling in a lot of Roosters in the 60lb range and jacks. Oh, forgot to mention the Dorado. Starting to show up numbers around the boys and the lighthouse. A few 50lbers have been caught but for most part they are around 15 to 25lbs.

Going back on September 28 for one final week. Been hosting groups for 30 years. Started in 1994 and winding up in 2024. What are my plans after Baja. Not really sure, maybe baby tarpon, bonefish, Aitutaki, Belize, Australia.

In closing, one thing that has really changed is the number of boats launching every morning. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 60 to 70 boats. 90% of them are now fly fishing. Very few commercial captains, they have converted to being a "fly fishing" captain. Down at the la Ventana launch ramp there are around 25 boats.
    Way too many people.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_6980.PNG 
Views:	83 
Size:	1.09 MB 
ID:	19983

No graphite rod will ever bend like this. I felt the pressure in the cork handle.

Name:	IMG_7001.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	126.2 KB 
ID:	19984

Name:	IMG_6955.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	152.5 KB 
ID:	19985
    Last edited by RoosterHunter; 06-19-2024 at 01:29 PM. Reason: addition
    Jay Murakoshi

I think there are plenty of other places to fish that you will enjoy as well as you have in 30 years in Baja.

The number one destination for small to medium Tarpon is Isla del Sabalo in the Mexica Yucatan.

Great post Jay.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........