Thread: Tips & Tricks on the McCloud

Default Tips & Tricks on the McCloud

I caught my first fish on a fly on the McCloud in the mid seventies when I was 9 or 10. At that time we used to dry camp at Fowler with my folks and my younger brother, bought my first fly rod at the Thrifty Drug store in McCloud, dad was probably getting a scoop of butter pecan while we were there. My dad passed in 2020 (covid) and mom passed last month, so IÂ’m felling at little nostalgic and got it in my head that I need to go fishing.

I was thinking of driving up north and camping at AhDiNa next week mid-week. I understand it is only 16 camp spots and no reservations. Is it tough to get a spot mid week? I have read it fills ups on the weekends. I have a Land Crusier with E rated tires and I know the road can be sketchy in spots with clearance and sharp rocks but I think I have that covered.

If you have any tips or intel it would be appreciated. Thx.

I would call Bob Grace at the Ted Fay Fly Shop in Dunsmuir, California on the Upper Sacramento River.

I am 79 and have lost many in my family too.

I think going fishing is going to be good for you.

Even though it is sad, I loved your post.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Thanks Bill I will give Bob a call.

A little more story if you will. My dad told me that the first time he made a trip to NorCal in the 50’s with his parents they rolled up to the upper Sac to trout fish. They had never trout fished before, they were SoCal surf fisherman that fished from Santa Barbara to San Diego whenever they got the chance. So they get to the river and they set up their rigs and like I said they had never trout fished before, they set up their usual surf rig outfit, which consisted of pyramid sinkers etc. He never said what they were using for bait but they were casting these rigs and making a commotion with the big splash and had nothing to show for it. But at some point on that trip a real trout fisherman pulled them aside and showed them how to rig up and fish properly. And that is how my dad started trout fishing.

Here’s a pic of my dad and grandfather, not sure where it’s at, in the background is the trailer that my grandfather made at home with my dad and uncle. My grandfather worked for Freuhauf Trailers in LA so he had some experience.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	80545CC7-6B96-4553-9E53-D082C2478057.jpeg 
Views:	108 
Size:	384.5 KB 
ID:	19982  

Those of the Great Generation in America, born in the 1920s, had wonderful hunting and fishing.

My folks always had a medium-sized old travel trailer over on the coast in the summer.

That photo is priceless.

looks like we have a lot in common. Thanks.
    Bill Kiene (Boca Grande)

567 Barber Street
    Sebastian, Florida 32958

Fly Fishing Travel Consultant
    Certified FFF Casting Instructor

Email: billkiene63@gmail.com
    Cell: 530/753-5267
    Web: www.billkiene.com

Contact me for any reason........

Default McCloud

So a few comments on the McCloud. Ah-Di-Na does usually fill up for the week-ends in the summer,
    Your chances of getting a site mid-week is fair.
    As Bill said give Bob a call or stop in on your way by.
    He can not give you a definitive answer on a site but can make a SWAG based on the number of anglers coming thru
    the shop that week.

IF you are geared up for rough camping there are some overflow areas past Ah-Di-Na where you can set up but
    no water, no toilet, no picnic table, nothing but a flat spot to pitch a tent.

However all that may be irrelevant because the reports as of today are that the McCloud is going off-color already.

second hand reports are visibility less than a foot and declining.

It is quite possible the Mac will not be fish-able by next week.

Turbidity gauge shows 2.7 to 3.2.

Over 4 is bad.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MSS_27_H 2024-06-01 to 2024-06-03.png 
Views:	29 
Size:	68.5 KB 
ID:	19986  

Great post. I love that picture. It is a classic. I used to go Ash Camp. I liked the bridge there and the section of the PCT that runs along the river. I saw a big bear there in 1995. It swam across the river below me, climbed up the bank, stopped, turned and looked directly back at me for a few seconds. We made eye contact and then he disappeared into the trees. My dad had died two months earlier and it felt like I saw him one last time and he looked at me, said goodbye and moved on. I am sure that sounds stupid but it was moving and I remember it well almost 30 years later. Thanks.

Default getting a little better?

Reports from the last two days say that the McCloud visibility is improving slightly.

Gauge also shows some improvement, it is showing 1.9 to 2.1