PDA

View Full Version : any shad reports?

jfkowalski
05-14-2005, 08:49 AM
I would expect this board to be loaded with reports on shad fishing but can't find any except comments about how high the rivers are.

Any good words?

David Lee
05-14-2005, 09:02 AM
The American is flowing at 8610 CFS right now ..... That is NOT wade-able for anyone . Can't fish it = no reports .

Have the Wipers started over at Lahontan yet ?? How about Whites and Walleyes at Rye Patch ?? We almost never get any Nevada reports here , I would love to come over and fish those lakes sometime .... David

SullyTM
05-14-2005, 12:00 PM
8610 CFS!!! Geezus!!! You'll need the Queen Mary II in order to float the river...and the weather dudes say more rain mid-week!!! I'm ready to move to Death Valley!!!

Tony Buzolich
05-14-2005, 06:19 PM
Maybe not all of them but it's fishable and they're stacked up at Shanghai Bend rapids as well as slightly above the rapids.
So are the stripers if you're curious. They're feeding on the shad.
They're's a huge run of stripers passing Knights Landing on the Sac and has been for several days. Probably the largest run so far this year. This information about the stripers is from the fish traps and counter there per Marty Gingrich, Head Biologist with the Dept.of Fish &Game.

Had one 34lb. striper brought in to the shop this morning taken from the Feather and lots of reports about shad.

So, even with all this high water, the fish are here and more are coming.

As one of our members says, "If you don't go, you don't know",,,, or something like that. :D
TONY

Rod Hargrave
05-15-2005, 09:05 AM
New to the forum here, have been enjoying reading the posts and frequent Kiene's when i'm down that way, AND like everybody else could use some better shad action!!
I've been fishing the mouth of the feather and have had luck but I would like to get to Shanghai bend.
I've been there from the west side but not sure what is best from that point. Is there another access point and where might I find the shad and stripers within that area?

Any information would be greatly appreciated. Thankyou

Darian
05-15-2005, 01:57 PM
Hey Rod,.... Tony Buzolich has the best info for this area.... If the Shad are stacked up above/below the falls, it won't be long before they're in the Yuba, too.... :D :D .

The west side access, when you're afoot, is limited to signed public access points like that at Shanghai Bend 8) . There's another several miles downstream at Boyd's Pump (it's mainly a boat ramp).... 8) . On the east side you can gain access off Feather River Blvd from Hwy 70 at Star Bend and again in the area around the mouth of the Yuba... 8) . It's best if you have access to a boat for this entire stretch. Then, you can cover the water above and below the falls at Shanghai Bend.

Tony Buzolich
05-16-2005, 04:24 PM
As Darian pointed out, a boat is the best way to fish this area with access at Boyd's Pump or the Second St Ramp in Yuba City or the ramp at River Park on the Marysville side.

A few words of caution if new to the area. The rapids are extremely dangerous and boats get swamped there often by getting too close to the main shoot both from above and from below.
If the water is low,(which it isn't now) you'll need a jet. Lots of debris, snags, and shallow rocky/sand bottom.

If you intend to fish from the bank, park at the end of Shanghai Bend Rd. off Garden Hwy. on the west side and walk down the levee till you see the rapids. (about a 1/4 mile)
Use extreme caution here. The rapids are composed of a totally clay bottom coming to the surface with a narrow shoot of fast deep water rushing through. Walking on this clay is like walking on ice, SLIPPERY!

If you access the river from the east side off Feather River Blvd. via Hwy. 70, there is a nice sandy beach which trucks occassionally drive down to. The problem here is the orchards and the levee need to be traversed and I've heard that they're starting to ticket vehicles for crossing over the levee. Take your chance or walk in from Feather River Blvd.

Another access is Star Bend also off FRBlvd. but vandelism is rampent down there and there's no way to watch your vehicle from either a boat or shore.

Hope this helps,
TONY

BigWilly
05-17-2005, 01:22 AM
There was a big run of shad at the American River yesterday went out for Stripers I have been doing well all week for them 3 at 9 pounds but a huge run of shad came though I landed 40 of those fighting machines the average was 21" :lol:

Hairstacker
05-17-2005, 04:25 PM
BigWilly, wow, that's awesome! May I ask what kind of rod/line set-up you were using? Thanks!

BigWilly
05-17-2005, 10:53 PM
Sure Hairstacker I was using a Sage XP #7 9.6 with AirFlo Depth Finder Fly Line 30' Sink Head/Float R/Line Sinking 200 - 7ips it shoots very nice and really gets down. Use white, orange or pink fly’s they were hitting them all. Hope this helps.

Hairstacker
05-17-2005, 10:58 PM
Thank you BigWilly, that helps A LOT, really appreciate it!!

Rod Hargrave
05-18-2005, 09:18 AM
thankyou darian and tony for the shanghai info. i'm still putting hope in verona but shanghai wiil be on my list now too.

...BIGWILLY..... i usually fish the american below watt and sunrise and do very well but these flows limit my wading there. were you in a boat and/or where were you catching shad? i do have 15ftr/40hrs boat but kind of reluctant to use it anywhere other than a couple of miles past the mouth. any thoughts? anyone? anyone?

got vacation next week specifically for shad and looking for some more options. thanks. rod

Darian
05-18-2005, 11:39 AM
Hi Rod,.... If you're gonna use a boat above the "Business 80" bridge on the American River, you need to check for river flows and know the rules for speed.... At these flows, the biggest problem you have is finding a place where the parking lot/launch ramp isn't flooded... :shock: :shock: .

When the flows are low, there're places where a boat like yours might work well. You could look into launching at Howe Ave./La Riviera Drive (county launch ramp), From that point, you could go upstream to just below Watt ave., and downstream to behind Sac State down to H Street 8) 8) . Be sure not to go down to the H street bridge until you know the river better :? . There's a lot of submerged hazards around the bridge :( .

Your best bet is to talk with Andy Guibord at Kiene's for local river knowledge... 8) 8) . He's da man :D :D .

BigWilly
05-18-2005, 11:44 AM
Yes I was in a boat my new HYDE Drift Boat that I got in Jan of this year. I’m sure glad I get it. It has changed every thing. It even got me 13 Stripers this year all in the last 3 weeks from 6 to 9 pounds at the American River. The Shad were below watt be hind the Island shhh don’t tell any one not sure they are still there they were coming through very fast. Have not been back sense Tue do to 12,000 cfi release and the rain because you know fish don’t like the rain it gets them wet. Just kidding do to the water going up and I’ve been out fishing for 4 days strait my WIFE was getting a little well there are things to do around the house so going to take a few days off but will be back Fri or Sat Fishing again just can’t wait.

Darian
05-18-2005, 11:54 AM
BW,..... Sounds like you've solved the boat thing and the balance thing, as well... :D . Good luck on Friday/Saturday 8) 8) .