PDA

View Full Version : Kayaks and Stand Up Paddle Boards are pretty cool for fly fishing.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2018, 06:34 AM
I was fly fishing out of a kayak recently and it was fun.

I was in a cheap 10 footer which I would say was too short and too narrow for me.

I would get a 12 or even 14 footer that is wider.

The fishing models are bigger and heavier but are much more stable.

Some of the fishing models have a framed chair so you sit up a little higher and more comfortable.

That 10 foot would not go straight very well because is is so shot.

I have seen some videos of guys fly fishing from special SUP with a cooler attached to sit on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xntw8pnVB8o

To get a deal on one look at Craig's List or eBay or look for year end rental sales.

Idadon
07-20-2018, 04:46 PM
I've got an inflatable kayak that's going to Baffin Bay, Texas with me this winter. Very wide and the front floor is open so I can stand up and fish (if it's shallow) or sit down when tired. Works great! I test rode a Sea Eagle SUP a while back but at 69 years old it was scary. I've fished out of a Hobie Mirage before and that was a hoot. As far as the paddle board, there's a reason their videos are shot in calm water and little wind. It acted like a sailboard and I was the sail. Maybe a very experienced paddle board person, that's under 40 and really in good shape might be okay.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2018, 06:56 PM
Being able to "test drive" these different water craft is a good idea.

Wide and long sounds good to me at 73.

Where is Baffin Bay, TX?

What are you doing there?

tcorfey
07-20-2018, 09:04 PM
I have a 12' sit inside Kayak and it works well for sit and spin fishing but. due to line getting caught etc... I prefer my 10' Olympian Pram or my 9' fish Cat pontoon boat for fly fishing. I really like the 9' pontoon for rivers. I can pull over to the side and stand an cast easily. The Olympian pram with oars or an electric motor is great for still water and you can stand comfortably. I am sure the sit on top Kayaks are much better for fly fishing than my sit inside is.

Regards,

Tim C.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-20-2018, 10:09 PM
I think a wider "sit on top" 12 foot kayak would be nice.

supercat
07-21-2018, 11:10 AM
SUP sales for fishing have been pretty good so far this summer. My name is Tim Loomis and besides repping for SuperCat float tubes/pontoons I am also the Doyle SUP rep.

Our boards start at 10' and go up in 6" increments up to 12'. A basic 10' SUP will float a person weighing between 90 - 170 lbs. Dimensions - 10'L x 31" W x 4.35"thick . A 10' Doyle epoxy SUP weighs in at only 23 lbs and sells for $700.00.

My business is on-line and located in Santa Cruz.

Call me or email if interested 831-345-8411

tim@bigsurstyles.com

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-21-2018, 12:00 PM
Thanks Tim

I have been seeing the SUP in videos in Florida.

https://doylesurfboards.com/collections/sup

Idadon
08-13-2018, 10:00 AM
Hey Bill:: Baffin Bay is an inlet off of the gulf a little south of Corpus Christie. Supposed to be a wonderful place to wade for Reds, Speckled Trout and Flounder, even in the winter.

I tried the Arizona "Snowbird" thing but not to impressed with what they had to offer. Decided this winter to try South Texas. Staying at a RV Park right on Baffin Bay, in the Riviera Beach area. The RV Park is part of a large County park that has a lite pier for fishing. It's also really close to a beach that's popular for launching kayaks. Weather is comparable to Arizona.

I've researched fishing in that area and if Utube is any indication it can be really good. Like others on this forum, I'm burned out on trout and chasing Salmon and Steelhead has been so non-productive the last few years that I'm going east. Check out utube, lots of fishing videos especially Jetty fishing in Corpus and South Padre Island.

Fly Right
08-13-2018, 02:14 PM
I have a 12' sit inside Kayak and it works well for sit and spin fishing but. due to line getting caught etc... I prefer my 10' Olympian Pram or my 9' fish Cat pontoon boat for fly fishing. I really like the 9' pontoon for rivers. I can pull over to the side and stand an cast easily. The Olympian pram with oars or an electric motor is great for still water and you can stand comfortably. I am sure the sit on top Kayaks are much better for fly fishing than my sit inside is.

Regards,

Tim C.

I have a hard shell sit on top fishing kayak and an inflatable hobie pedal drive that looks like a SUP but behaves like a fishing kayak. Both do the job quite well for flyfishing with neither being perfect in all respects. The pedal drive offers a huge advantage when it comes to keeping the boat positioned and utilizing the "hands free" effect so you can manage your cast, hold your position or troll.
Fly fishing SUP's are fine when there is no wind, current or chop.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-13-2018, 02:52 PM
Hey Bill:: Baffin Bay is an inlet off of the gulf a little south of Corpus Christie. Supposed to be a wonderful place to wade for Reds, Speckled Trout and Flounder, even in the winter.

I tried the Arizona "Snowbird" thing but not to impressed with what they had to offer. Decided this winter to try South Texas. Staying at a RV Park right on Baffin Bay, in the Riviera Beach area. The RV Park is part of a large County park that has a lite pier for fishing. It's also really close to a beach that's popular for launching kayaks. Weather is comparable to Arizona.

I've researched fishing in that area and if Utube is any indication it can be really good. Like others on this forum, I'm burned out on trout and chasing Salmon and Steelhead has been so non-productive the last few years that I'm going east. Check out utube, lots of fishing videos especially Jetty fishing in Corpus and South Padre Island.

I think October is a really top month there. Also seems like November is popular for big Redfish in the Gulf.

June is another top month but it can be good year round.

We spend the the winters on the Central East Florida coast.

In the winter in the southern salt water you can fish when it's warm and do other things when it is cold.

Idadon
08-14-2018, 09:41 AM
Yup! Where we are staying is just about the same latitude as Tampa. As for weather it's very similar to Tampa with an occasional cold snap that goes away quick. We're reserved for Nov 1- March 30. If it's horrible I can give 30 days notice and depart with no penalty.

The Red fishing is supposed to be red-hot when we arrive. In December the BIG trout show up and flounder fishing gears up. Over in the surf the big BULL Reds are active. Actually you can catch all those species all year. In the summer there's jacks, cobia, kings, even big tarpon. Sounds like I need to forget this RV stuff and buy a house down in South Texas!