PDA

View Full Version : What's in your shad fly box?

Jaybinder
04-23-2012, 10:34 AM
Hi guys. I'd like to start swinging for shad this season. What are a few must have flies. I've seen the bloody mary but that's it. Any tying resources you'd like to share would be great. If you'd like to share any secret spots or techniques I'm all ears.

Thanks
Jason

Dabalone
04-24-2012, 09:11 AM
Hear mostly about traditional brightly collored shad patterns but a few years ago my son and I found something they just ate up even when people around us were not hooking up. Not normally thought of as a shad pattern I tied up some prince nymphs in a flashy pattern, gold ice dub seemed to be the color of choice, I think they are attracted by the overall flash of the fly but key in on the white wings, worked both in the American and Feather rivers.

Joe Mateas
04-24-2012, 09:16 AM
I'll start by saying I have never fished for shad, this year will be my first and I'm getting prepaired. I've been told by more than one guide all you need is a 1/64oz-1/32oz Crappie jig, red head with white maribou tail. Knowing how I am I will be filling up my boxes with a few color(never happy with just one color combo) variations and different head styles.

cadisaction
04-27-2012, 09:11 AM
Check your messages

Mik
04-27-2012, 03:37 PM
Pearl or Pink Crazie Charlie.....but you didn't hear me say that.