PDA

View Full Version : Yuba Rubberleg Stonefly Nymph

Kyle C.
12-12-2011, 11:55 AM
I was wondering what the best colors were for the legs and body of a rubberleg stonefly nymph to use on the lower yuba this time of year?

JD
12-12-2011, 06:12 PM
For the Yuba specifically, can only guess. Dark brown or black with olive legs are the usual choices for most rivers and streams. For the Lower Yuba later in the year/early next year, something a bit smaller and dark olive might be worth trying if the skwalas are around. YMMV.

Jaybinder
12-13-2011, 02:24 PM
Try verigated yellow and black.

Mrs.Finsallaround
12-13-2011, 04:55 PM
I was wondering what the best colors were for the legs and body of a rubberleg stonefly nymph to use on the lower yuba this time of year?

"Rubber Tarantula Legs" are awesome - pretty sure the shop still carries them...

Hogan Brown
12-13-2011, 06:18 PM
Brown, coffee/black, brown or olive flexi floss leggs, #6-10

cyama
12-13-2011, 11:38 PM
I have found the best all around stonefly for the Yuba is the Jimmy legs. We have a fishout on the Yuba every year and the top fly has pretty much been the Jimmy legs. It has a bent hook and knotted legs. Size eight in coffee and black with olive legs has been working pretty much year around. It takes some time to tie so I just buy them. Here is a video of how to tie them. Craig Gittings is a great tyer and can also stick fish on the Yuba!!! Try a smaller olive body pattern here in a month or two... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ug1oxKYaXWI