PDA

View Full Version : Determining Weight of Blanks

koffler
06-29-2011, 12:30 PM
I was digging through one of my closets and found a couple blanks. I had a couple in their packages but a few didn't have any identifying marks (and a couple I started to make where I have installed the cork handle and reel seat - sigh). They are early model Redington (1995 - 1997) and Sage RPL blanks. Any ideas as to how I determine what weight they are? One is a redington in either 5, 6, or 7 and the other is the RPL in either a 9, 10, or 11.

Thanks-
Jason

Ted S
06-29-2011, 12:42 PM
Without building the blanks into rods and test casting them with different lines, your best bet is to use the "Common Cents System". This involves clamping the rod butt to a horizontal surface and hanging a bag from the tip. Fill the bag with penny coins until the tip is 1/3 of the rod length below the butt level. This website contains a link to a pdf file with a table of effective rod numbers (weights) for the number of pennies in the bag.

http://www.common-cents.info/

Hope this is of some help,
Ted

wineslob
06-29-2011, 02:02 PM
I believe one other method is to mic the tip and butt section.

Dave E.
06-29-2011, 04:50 PM
Hey Jason, staying high and dry I hope.

Inside the female ferrule of the Sage rods you should be able to see a thin streak of color, like a wisp of thread. Note the color and contact Sage. Each color used to correspond with a line weight.

Then again, it might be my imagination...
Maybe Bill remembers.

Dave

Jet
06-29-2011, 07:56 PM
There are deflection formulas out there where you add weight using pennies and once the rod deflects a certain percentage of its overall lengh you can determine the rod weight. Try googling or search the archives from NCFFB.org rod bashes. You count your pennies and determine your rod weight. Helps to add a tip guide when adding the weight and since you use wax its removable.

Good luck,

Jet

Bill Kiene semi-retired
06-29-2011, 09:32 PM
Hey Jason, staying high and dry I hope.

Inside the female ferrule of the Sage rods you should be able to see a thin streak of color, like a wisp of thread. Note the color and contact Sage. Each color used to correspond with a line weight.

Then again, it might be my imagination...
Maybe Bill remembers.

Dave

Dave, you are right about that thread deal....call Sage though.

Jet
06-30-2011, 09:05 AM
Get a hold of Pappy at CalWest and he will have the info you need. Coud be a fun project building the scale.

http://www.cal-westcustomrods.com/

Tell him Jet sent you and I have no idea where he will tell you to go

Jet

Jay
07-02-2011, 05:23 AM
tell him jet sent you and i have no idea where he will tell you to go
hahahahahahahaha!

oldtrout
07-02-2011, 04:16 PM
Get a hold of Pappy at CalWest and he will have the info you need. Coud be a fun project building the scale.

http://www.cal-westcustomrods.com/

Tell him Jet sent you and I have no idea where he will tell you to go

Jet

Heck, Dennis might be speechless!