PDA

View Full Version : Learning to Spey Cast and American Fishing Report

flyguy1
02-09-2009, 02:07 PM
Well on my first fulough friday I went out to the A to learn how to spey cast and do some fishing with the single handed rod. Ryan Miller met me at the river, provided me with a spey rod, and taught me some basic spey casts ( i.e, single spey, double spey, snap T reverse should cast). After some pointers I kind of figured it out. Fished one area for approximately 45 minitues and left due to the crowds (no fish). Ryan and I went to another area, he fished the upper run and I fished to lower run. The frustration started to mount for me as my casts were going to S$*T. Ryan saw my frustation and came down to help. He broke down each portion of the cast and had me practice them. After 10 minitues of this I tried again, and low and behold I casted much better. I could shoot the line out about 65 to 75 feet consistently. After about 15 minitues of fishing we left that area with no fish. Ryan had to leave so I headed down river to another spot to fish. Had one hookup (about a 20 to 22 inch steely) swinging a black egg sucking bugger. Failed to land him as he threw the hook after about a 45 second fight. All in all a great day. Ryan is a great guy and instructor. He made it easy to understand the dynamics of spey cast and the techniques to improve casting.

I have been wanting to try the spey rod but was afraid to because that means more $$ to equipment. Now that I have done it I think I am about to become more poor.

Ryan, thanks for all your help and instruction, and giving me the spey bug. Let go again sometime.

Scott