PDA

View Full Version : spey or switch for north coast

norcal tom
01-30-2009, 06:15 PM
iam still kind of new to the steellhead game i have been swinging a single hand rod all winter and ready to make a step up. so the ?? is spey or switch i fish the south fork of the smith as my home water and plan on learning some of the other rivers in the future. i really looking for some thing to give me more line controll and slow my swing down a little. most cast are 45 to 60 feet so 13 foot rod almost sound like over kill. can i throw 12 13 feet of t-14 on a switch what you opions thanks tom davis

ps. please pray for rain

sfspey
01-30-2009, 06:42 PM
If that is your average distance then a switch would be perfect for that no matter what line you choose to fish with. The new compact lines that are out now would be good a choice. At that distance you will be casting with very little effort. Sounds like a perfect situation. Have fun.

Don Powell
01-30-2009, 08:53 PM
Spey or switch just depends on how wide the river is where you're fishing and how much backcast, or D-loop room you have in back of you...
On big wide, open gravel bars, like the lower river or at Jed Smith Park, a spey is a great choice...you have plenty of room to form a D-loop which reaches back 15-20' behind you and you can rocket out a cast which will cover a lot of water.
On steep, brushy banked water, like the S. Fork, your backcast or D-loop options are limited...so, I like a switch rod for those opportunities. You can cast a short 20-23' belly line with 10-15' T-14 or LC13 very easily with a compact stroke.
I love both techniques and have spey and switch rods in a 6 and 8 wt designation to fit whatever conditions prevail.
For your potentially big Chinook and steelhead up there, I think you should demo both an 8 wt switch and spey rod, you are going to eventually want one of each I am sure.
Single hand spey with your single hander can work for many situations but it is difficult to cast T-14 with that set-up. (T-10 or 11 works pretty well if it gets down where the fish are...)

PM me for more details if you wish...

Don

norcal tom
01-30-2009, 09:38 PM
yeah thats my proplem is i want both iam looking at the 13'3 8 decho 10'10 switch 8wt from echo or the 118 tfo deer creek just cant make up my mind iam leaning towards the switch because i spend more time above the forks then below them but i wound not mind hooking some of those guide boats on the lower river what size rod do i need get a 17 foot willies to the bank haha thanks guys tom davisw what your guys opinion on the 8/9 beulah switch rods?????

FLGator
02-03-2009, 07:13 PM
Take a look at the recent Mike McCune videos that were posted by RickJ. Mike is fishing some pretty light rigs and his home waters are the rivers of the N. coast.

Grampa Spey
02-09-2009, 08:34 AM
iam still kind of new to the steellhead game i have been swinging a single hand rod all winter and ready to make a step up. so the ?? is spey or switch i fish the south fork of the smith as my home water and plan on learning some of the other rivers in the future. i really looking for some thing to give me more line controll and slow my swing down a little. most cast are 45 to 60 feet so 13 foot rod almost sound like over kill. can i throw 12 13 feet of t-14 on a switch what you opions thanks tom davis

ps. please pray for rain

Have Bill contact Gary Anderson to make you a combo Z7110/7136 rod. I have one, and in one rod case I have maybe the best switch rod available and a great Spey Rod capable of handling large fish, which you can get into where you live.

For those really big fish, buy a used Sage TCR 9129-4. This rod will thrown anchor chains and small critters with the Skagit 750. When the Skagits came out, Bob Pauli and I couldn't overload this rod with Big Boy Tips, Stripper sinking tips, T14 up to 15' and whatever we tested it. It is too much of a rod with our Salmon Closures in other parts of California and non Smith River Steelhead. For that reason I have a great one, I will be selling.