PDA

View Full Version : Middle Rogue Steelhead

Langenbeck
10-26-2008, 05:23 PM
No pictures today. Fished well below Grants Pass this AM and caught & released a half pounder and then lost a fish of about 20". Then went to a spot where there is virtually no chance to land a hooked fish & it happened. Hooked a big male of about 30" that took me well into my backing and after about ten minutes had him close to my feet but absolutely no tiny gravel bar to land the fish. Tried to tow him upstream to a gravel bar but he came off. Fall colors on the Rogue are stunning. Flow is about 1,440 cfs and the temperature is 47. Looks like a decent run of fall chinooks on the Rogue this year.

WT
10-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Hey Gordon I might be up in the area... medford around Thanksgiving... would it be worth it for me to take a day trip and try and catch a steelhead?

Langenbeck
10-26-2008, 06:45 PM
WT: Mid to late November in my estimation is the prime time for summer/fall steelhead in the Grants Pass area. Only down side would be if we had very high water. Also in late November there are usually lots of coho as the come after the first big rains of November but are very hard to catch 100 miles from the ocean.

WT
10-26-2008, 09:04 PM
thanks for the info... I think I just found what I will be thankful for this thanksgiving... well that and beer