PDA

View Full Version : looking to buy several SA lines and z axis 6 weight

johnson wozniak
08-02-2007, 11:30 AM
Money is not an issue, wondering what lines I should get for the z axis and I also have a tfo finese 4 weight. I want the very best lines. I am thinking
z-axis 6 weight:
mastery nymph dry tip 6 weight
mastery expert distance 6 weight
mastery freshwater floating lines gpx dry tip technology wf 6

tfo finese
mastery freshwater floating lines gpx dry tip technology wf 6
QUestion, if I got a SA steelhead line, would I be able to do spey casts? What line would load my 4 weight finese?

jhaquett
08-02-2007, 12:04 PM
I have a Mastery Uniform Sink 6 weight that I don't use enough if you are interested in that.

Jeff C.
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Stop by at Kiene's. They have a reference sheet on the optimum lines for each Z-Axis rod.

johnson wozniak
08-02-2007, 03:00 PM
Stop by at Kiene's. They have a reference sheet on the optimum lines for each Z-Axis rod.

I would, but I am way up in northern california by the border, where the mountains are tall and the tap water is unfiltered glacier water.

Pimpinmeat
08-02-2007, 03:31 PM
Forget the mastery expert distance 6 weight and just get the SA Steelhead line. Last year I needed to replace my 7wt line, stripped it off and gave it away, and went looking for the steelhead line(which I've used and loved) and couldn't find anyone who had it in stock. I needed line so I was forced to the Expert Distance. It nice stuff but nothing like throwing the steelhead line. The mending and roll casting can't be beat.

Matt Steffens
08-02-2007, 09:02 PM
I think you ment WF 4, Cause a 6 WT would be way too heavy. The finesse will load just fine with the gpx line, you might think about the Mastery trout taper in a DT 4, for nice roll casts in heavy cover though. I have one on a 4wt and am very happy with it.

dtp916
08-03-2007, 10:19 AM
Nice call Matt, you know more than I thought you did :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm kidding.

For the Z-Axis I'd stick with a SA GPX or Steelhead, or a Rio Grande or Steelhead/Atlantic Salmon. The GPX and Rio Grande are made a half size heavier to load fast action rods.

Rio is a high floater and SA is much slicker and shoots better. Your choice. Both SA and Rio make good nymph lines if you want something with better mend-ability, which is why the Steelhead would be a nice line too.

For the TFO Finesse, a SA Trout or Rio Selective Trout DT. SAGE Quiet Taper is a sweet one too 8)

Pimpinmeat
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Matt, he has 2 rods, a Z-Axis 6wt and a TFO Finesse 4wt.

For the 4wt I would also suggest the SA Trout. I've also been using that on a 5wt SLT and it absolutely compliments that rod. I had to go through a few lines to find one I liked and that was it.

Bill Kiene semi-retired
08-05-2007, 09:11 PM
The Rio 'Steelhead' weight forward floater is really popular, out selling the SA/Mastery about 20 to 1 at our shop. These are popular in WF6-9F for bigger water. Great for indicator nymphing for trout or Steelhead. Great for traditional Steelheading too.

For delicate presentations with lighter tipped rods people use the Rio 'Selective Trout' and the SA/Mastery 'Trout'.

For faster rods most use the floating fly lines that are a half size heavy like the SA/Mastery 'GPX' and the Rio 'RioGrand'.

SA/Mastery and Rio have the market in Nor Cal for fly line sales.

Many other fly line are good though.

Adam Grace
08-05-2007, 10:15 PM
I love SA's GPX lines, this is my go to floating line! Rio also makes a nice line. I am also been a big fan of Air Flo lines, they are super slick and durable, quite possibly the most durable lines that I've ever fished.

johnson wozniak
08-07-2007, 08:42 PM
Thanks Bill, Adam, pimping, et all.
I am going to go with the SA gpx 6 weight, SA steelhead 6 weight, SA 6 weight nymph and SA 4 weight trout.

dtp916
08-08-2007, 08:35 AM
Good call 8)