PDA

View Full Version : Leaders

steelie
07-18-2007, 03:05 PM
I'm new to the message board and I have a question. I haven't been fly fishing in over twenty years and I'm getting back into it. I have alot of old material and some leaders. How long will they last to still be good for fishing?

jbird
07-18-2007, 04:04 PM
Welcome to the board!

The old materials should be ok. If they were stored in a reletively cool, dry place. You'll know when you start tying with them. For example the hackle stems might be brittle. Start tying flies with it and see. I have some capes I bought when i first started tying 20 years ago and I still use them today. I have some very old marabou too that is fine.

As for the tippet. I'd throw it out and replace it. Theres no need to chance that connection and monofiliment does deteriorate over time.

Welcome back to this nutty sport!

Jay

Rob
07-18-2007, 08:27 PM
Welcome Steelie !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

Bill Kiene semi-retired
07-18-2007, 09:11 PM
Hi Steelie,

After 20 years I would toss any mono you have.

Old rods and reels can be good though.

Your fly fishing vest should be fine.

After 20 years most waders will be 'toast' too.

Fly lines have come a long way so you might get a new one. Put on new backing too.

As far as fly tying materials goe I would just give them a try. Sometimes people with wet or steam materials to get them pliable again.

Welcome to our gang.

steelie
07-19-2007, 06:51 AM
Thanks for the info guys. I was wondering why little bluegills were breaking the leaders. Bought a new rod and reel at Kiene's a few weeks back and leaders. I wanted to see if the old ones were any good. Got a TFO TiCr X in 5#, great rod and thanks to Jeff for his help.